QuietJourney Forums
Boundary Waters / Quetico Discussion Forums >> General Boundary Waters / Quetico Discussion >> Remote crossing permit

Message started by Fallguy on Mar 2nd, 2014 at 8:31pm

Title: Re: Remote crossing permit
Post by portage dog on Mar 2nd, 2014 at 9:20pm

Go to   (You need to Login or Register and look for the CANPASS Remote Area Boader Crossing (RABC) and it will list the requirements.  You will need one primary form of ID (passport, passport card, birth cert.) and one secondary (driver's lic.) to get your RABC permit.  You don't necessarily need a passport according to the list to get the RABC or to enter Canada (just the permit - you should take ID as well....).  It is really pretty simple - just fill out the form and mail it in. 

You will need to stop at the Prairie Portage Ranger Station (or LacLaCroix or Cache Bay) to pay your camping fees, etc.  Any other point of entry would be via Ontario and you would have to go through Canadian customs and no RABC is required for land crossings - whole 'nother ball o' wax.

You do NEED either a passport or a passport card to re-enter the US, however.  Check the state department website.  You are required (by law...) to check in at Customs just outside of Ely w/in 24 hours upon returning.  Probably not a good idea to skip that part. 


QuietJourney Forums » Powered by YaBB 2.6.0!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.