Re: Paddling in Saskatchawan - Anybody?

Spent the weekend of 27-29 August on Devil's Lake segment of the Churchill River. Camped on Mosquito Point - no namesakes living there at this time of year, apparently. True to my Quetico experience, fishing was terrible. Biggest fish was 2# northern (jackfish).
Paddling was incredible. Few if any portages in this neck of the woods. Ascents and descents are paddling or lining. Current is pretty strong - wouldn't recommend tracking since the bottom is typical shield broken granite (poor footing - just look at my shin). Mammal life was also spotty, except for the chipmunk under my tent @ 2:00 AM Friday. Scared me to death. Friday night was spectacular - stars, full moon, aurora, and no bugs to drive me into the tent and miss the show.
Saturday - lined up the rapids south of the island. 1 portage - landing was 6' above water level. Wish I'd seen this segment with normal water levels. Entered Barker Lake - saw multitudes of ducks and 1 American white pelican (in the distance - too far for pictures). Very few loons, only heard one the entire trip. Canada geese were rafting - sign of winter? Had osprey land in tree in camp, but it left when I slowly reached for the camera.
Weather was spectacular. Friday night temp dropped to 3 degrees C (that's a bit nippy). Came prepared, but still used Duluth pack as cover.
Sunday - bailed out early: weather predicted bad wind from the SE (the way out). Met 3 guys at the Devil's Lake campsite. One was very experienced wilderness tripper. Had great time comparing travel adventures. Of course, my Quetico stuff couldn't match his Arctic stuff. Other guy was remote post manager for Hudson's Bay company. Had better time talking history of HBC and fur trade and wilderness trips. Could have spent a lot more time talking with them, but didn't want to interfere with their experience any more than I did.

Side note: Outfitter I used was guiding on the Kazan when I arrived. His significant other was minding the store. She had news from RCMP (I think) that their emergency beacon had been set off, but no further news. Got news just b4 I left that they were safe and in a hotel. Seems a Storm came up, blew away a canoe, had to be rescued by helicopter. Made me think twice about running rapids solo and nobody else on the lake. Shame, would have been fun, but would also have been stupid. Only thing I didn;t get to do (except catch fish).

Great experience, great adventure. recommend it to anybody.

Posted by Skip Guyer on September 09, 1999 at 18:23

In reply to: Paddling in Saskatchawan - Anybody? posted by Skip Guyer on August 14, 1999 at 21:20
Responses to this Post:
Go to Forum Home