Re: Alone in the Forest

Going solo can be a very satisfying experience. It can also be a total bummer. As the outfitter said, "you have to be very comfortable with yourself." If you can handle the isolation you can enjoy the trip. There is something very relaxing about not having to work around someone elses schedule, plans, or preferences. You can just kick back and relax, or drive hard all day and not have to worry if anybody else likes it. For do's and don'ts: Do take a radio to listen to at night, it will give you the sound of other people. Do take a notebook and make a journal of your trip. One of the best things about group camping is comparing notes at night. A journal lets you reflect on the day yourself. Do travel along the better used corridors of the park. You don't want to be too isolated if you need help for some reason. Even if you never need help it will give you more peace of mind to see people going by. Do keep very sure you know exactly where you are at all times. You have no one to miss you if you get lost. Don't take any risks! Even something as simple as jumping from one rock to another is more dangerous when you are alone.
I have only gone solo 1 time and although I enjoyed it I don't know if I would do it again. Of course, it could be because I got married since then that I wouldn't. LOL

Posted by Quetico Fan on February 21, 2000 at 11:21

In reply to: Alone in the Forest posted by Greg on February 20, 2000 at 21:09
Responses to this Post:
Go to Forum Home