Re: first aid/survival pack for trip

I have a pretty good first aid kit. It stays in one of the big packs. It's there if we need it. Sounds like you're more interested in what to carry on your person.

I, too, have a fanny pack that goes everywhere with me. It is there on the portage trail, and there for day trips. In it I have: a headnet, some parachute cord, bug dope, sun screen, lip balm, compass, pencil and note pad, lighter, pocket knife, small amount of toilet paper, a water bottle/canteen, cheapy/disposable camera with film, a very small first aid kit (mostly band aids and aspirin - the rest we can dig in the pack for if needed), a plastic garbage bag (handy for a lot of uses), and permits.

I also have a thwart bag that ALWAYS stays attached in the canoe. This is the CANOE'S First Aid Kit. This is an item that may be overlooked by many people, but when when you have occasion to use it can be as, or more, important than a first aid kit. If one person gets injured, there is a partner to help out. If your canoe is injured, you're both stuck. You'll probably get by with a roll of duct tape - amazing stuff. I usually add a pair of pliers, some wire, and a couple of 1/4" stove bolts with washers and wing nuts. I convert all the bolts on my canoes to 1/4" so that I have a standard size throughout. The wing nuts make repairs easier. Break a bolt on a carry yoke or a seat support, and you'll be happy to have them. I used to carry a square of fiberglass and a little epoxy. It was overkill. Duct tape is usually more than enough.

In the canoe kit, I also toss in a space blanket and a sheet of plastic, some more cord, fire starter, and a lighter. I think that's it. It is lightweight and takes up very little space. I've had to use it often.

Posted by Ken E. Brown on March 27, 2000 at 14:57

In reply to: first aid/survival pack for trip posted by bsman on March 18, 2000 at 01:27
Responses to this Post:
Go to Forum Home