Re: Clothes

When on an outdoors trip, ALWAYS have light weight rain gear with you and then count it as bonus if you don't need it. Pacific Trails, Helly Hanson make good, affordable light weight and breathable rain gear...I own both brands and have been very happy with their performance. Check REI Outlet site for great deals on this stuff. Sterns makes some of the better urethane coated jackets that if you are stationary are ok, if you move alot or are portaging you will sweat like a mad man in those things. I wear only nylon and synthetics when outdoors...all cotton stays home.
A nylon pair of wind pants with elastic at the hems is great for the outdoor activities, sheds stickers, keeps wind off your skin, drys very quick if wet, helps stop bugs from biting and are so comfortable you won't know they are on. I like coolmax t-shirts, polar guard fleece 200 jackets and vests and a light weight nylon breathable rain jacket rounds things out for me. My socks are Fox River Coolmax, and I do have some fleece socks but they can get warm, my briefs are coolmax as well. I have recently started to use LLBean Boots that are coated with Thompsons Water Seal. Don't much care for wet footing it when doing canoe travel or portaging and I need the ankle support on trails. I bring my Asics running shoes for hanging out in camp on non-travel days an when swimming...not wanting to step on lost dare devils while bare foot when taking a cool dip. I bring two changes of clothes and plan to wash the dirty clothes while I am out there. I leave a fresh change of clothes in the van for when I get back, shower and drive 12-hours to get home. That is a rule for me and mine...not wanting to smell strange odors during the drive home. Everyone showers and changes into fresh clothes or they hitch hike home. That's about it.

Posted by Bisco on May 25, 2000 at 10:50

In reply to: Clothes posted by ubang2@yahoo.com on May 20, 2000 at 01:28
Responses to this Post:
Go to Forum Home