Re: Brushcrashing or bushwacking

Wally Walleye: First off let me thank you for your flattering response. Sorry my responses will be slow as I do not own a computer or normally use one. These messages are relayed courtesy of a friend. First of all, Roulston Lake is just North of Delahey Lake. No, I have never used a G.P.S, and we only use a compass to show North-South, East-West. We mostly use common sense and muscle. We have always one tripped our portages, because of this our camp is always with us. This way, I have always said, we could set down and camp anywhere as long as we had water nearby. However we have always made it to our daily destinations. Be careful if you try this, it is not easy, because a broken leg, ankle, or gall bladder attack could become deadly if you are off a normal canoe route. Even if you get into a small lake and signal a float plane, there may not be enough room to land or take off.
Re:Dettbarn Lake - It was the third week of June 1995. We went from Prarie Portage to Faquier Lake on day 1. Day 2 I awoke with a bad cold, so we stayed on Faquier Lake with our brushcrashing plans in danger. Day 3 i still felt bad but we continued on anyway. From the Northern most bay of Faquier we headed Northwest to a small no-name lake. I had the canoe and food pack, while Reverend carried the stuffed #4 pack (gear/clothes/depthfinder/cook kit/etc..) From that lake we bushed almost straight west to Dettbarn Lake. It was not easy. We headed up a ridge, then way down to a swamp, then continued across to another ridge, and over on to Dettbarn Lake. At one point as I lay in the mud, runny nosed, with dozens of deer flies on my face,torn pants, catching my breath in 95 degree heat(June 1995..look it up), the Reverend looked down and said,"your disgusting". We camped on Dettbarn that night. Day 4 we headed down the Dettbarn creek. The only spots we could paddle was where it shows a pond on the map. It was still blazing hot and heat stroke was a concern. Halfway down the creek, just past a junction, we bushed East to get to 2 joined lakes. This involved climbing a cliff and hoisting over the canoe by rope. When we hit that lake I was in heaven;water never felt so good. That night we camped on the Northern most lake. Day 5 we left at 5:30 AM to beat the heat, and then proceeded east skirting a ravine to get to the large no-name lake West of Turn Lake and South of Poulin. We camped on the Western section of this lake. Day 6 we bushed East to Turn Lake where we saw a Moose and continued down to Louisa Falls. When I have worked that hard to find out what a lake is like I usually do not tell all my secrets. About the lakes I will say that the fishing could have been better, and, as is usually the case, our "discoveries" had us returning with more questions than when we started with. Typical of life, the more you know the more questions you have.
Re:MN.Green - No, I haven't been to the lakes off of Veron. I probably will not go there now. However thank you for sharing this information.
- Stumpy -

Posted by Stumpy on January 25, 2001 at 18:48

In reply to: Brushcrashing or bushwacking posted by Stumpy on January 21, 2001 at 21:56
Responses to this Post: