Re: Ice Out in the BWCA

I'm going in on May 19th, and I was also somewhat dismayed at the possiblility of such a late ice-out. I haven't been in the BWCAW that early before, but I have fished in northern MN during the same week and haven't had an ice problems. This year could be different, but the chances are still pretty good that the lakes will be open.

As for the fishing, the walleyes will most likely be in post-spawn, unless it's a really late spring. The northerns like the cold and will spawn under the ice if necessary, but they should still be roving around in the warmer, shallower bays. The smallies will be pre-spawn, but bass season doesn't open until May 26 in MN, so they should be left alone until then anyway.

As for gear for early or late trips, there are three things that I wouldn't be without: knee-high rubber boots(you do NOT want wet feet this time of year) a wool stocking cap (it may not rain, but it will be cold), and a thermos (fill with something hot in the morning, so you don't have to fire up the stove for lunch). Of course, there are a whole bunch of other things that it would be bad to be without, but for some reason, people forget the hat more often than the sleeping bag or the long underwear. I've never seen anyone carrying the thermos unless there's snow on the ground, but it sure is nice to have hot tea while fishing in the middle of the day, or while taking a break after a windy crossing.

Posted by Steve Wagner on March 06, 2001 at 09:47

In reply to: Re: Ice Out in the BWCA posted by John Walker on March 05, 2001 at 22:38
Responses to this Post: