Pink Flamingo Stew
thanks to old salt
- 1-2 Pink Flamingos (found in Q at various times & locations,
check w/ Jimbo prior to trip to find current info)
- If no Pinks are found, may substitute lake trout.
- Fill largest pot 1/2 full with lake water.
- Dice meat into large, bite-size chunks.
- Add: Corn, carrots, potatoes,&/or wild rice, lemon.
- Go thru food pack and add anything else that sounds good.
- Season with any kind of Cajun or fish spice that you like. Be
- Optional: Flour (handful). This will turn whole pot white. Slowly
add drops of red food color, stirring constantly, until proper shade
of pink (pepto-bismol) is achieved. (Flour & red food color may be
omitted if pink color is not desired).
Cook over low-med heat, stirring, until boiling. When pot boils 5
min., its ready to serve. If you're going for the pink surprise, send
campmates out to fish the hot laker hole near camp while you volunteer
to toil over dinner. Tell them you'll call them in when dinner is
almost ready. When pot starts to boil, call them in. Cover pot, when
you hear them coming in. Wait to reveal until all are standing in
eager anticipation around the stove, commenting on the great smell
emanating from the pot. Tell them you used a secret ingredient, (pink
flamingos), then reveal.
Keep stirring pot, being careful to not let ingredients stick and
burn. If they do, just comment casually about mesquite smoking the
bird to get the right affect. Trust me, someone will bite.
Vary quantity according to crew size.