- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4-6 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 green or sweet red pepper, chopped
- 1/4 lb. dried mushrooms, soaked in red wine
- 4 ripe tomatoes, chopped
- 3 cups red wine
- 1 t. dried basil or thyme
- 1 t. pepper
- 2 t. salt
- 1 lb. mixed seafood (mussels, clams, squid, etc.)
- 2 lb. shelled shrimp (preferably raw, but cooked OK)
- any available fish filets, cut in serving pieces
In the big pot, heat oil and cook onion, garlic and pepper about five minutes. Add mushrooms and tomatoes and cook five minutes. Add wine, salt and pepper and simmer 10 minutes. Add mixed seafood and simmer 10 minutes. Add fish and cook about 5 minutes. Add shrimp and heat just till shrimp are cooked.
Be generous with the Tabasco. You could add crabmeat or crayfish with the shrimp, raw prepared squid with the wine, etc.
This is a first night in dish. I bring in a 5 liter box of red wine
and a loaf of crusty bread. The seafood is frozen when packed. I find
the mixed seafood by the fish counter in Chicago area grocery stores.