Y'all Grits Casserole
- 4c water
- 1c grits (quick variety not instant)
- 1tsp salt
- 4Tbs dried egg or 2 whole eggs
- 1/2c water (omit water if using fresh eggs)
- 5Tbs of margarine
- 1-1/2c cubed cheese (cheddar)
- 8oz crumbled bacon (precooked variety keeps well)
Bring 4c of water to boil and stir in grits and salt. Stir until it thickens remove from heat and stir in eggs, margarine, crumbled bacon and most of the cheese. Use remaining cheese on top. Cover pot with a flat lid, placing 6 coals from fire on top of lid bake for 20 mins. or until cheese melts. (replenish coals if needed)
6 freeze-dried sausage patties reconstitute in some hot water.
We use this recipe for a lay over breakfast.